CalOPPA. GDPR. COPPA. CCPA. VCDPA. That’s a whole bunch of letters that seem like nonsense – right up until your website gets hacked and your clients’ data is breached. And if you aren’t compliant with the laws that that alphabet soup stands for – you could be facing stiff penalties and possible consumer lawsuits.
OK – that sounds like scary stuff. Data Privacy is no joke. The European Union led the charge on enacting stringent laws to protect consumer data and privacy. California followed suit and now Virginia is on the board too as of January 2023. No less than 6 states currently have legislation in some stage of the process. Canada, Australia, Brazil and many other counties already have data laws in effect. It likely won’t be long before the US has a Federal Data Privacy Law passed.
At a minimum, your policy must include:
- A clear description of what Data is collected and how.
- An explanation of how data is handled and stored.
- Clear language as to whether data is sold or not.
- A list or statement of the consumer’s rights with respect to their data, including the ability to opt out of data collection and sale.
- A Cookies Policy.
- Contact information of the business.
And now, you’re In The Know!